Saturday, April 5, 2014

Magic & Illusion "The Controversy"



As a Christian Illusionist, I tend to battle many times with many Christians when it comes to the use of my title "Magician", rather in their opinion I should be called an Illusionist. As true as this may seem, the title that we are billed,should have no conflict. Many Christians are afraid of the word "magic", because of the dark meaning it has and what it represents. God's Word talks about the Wise Men who went to see and present gifts to the Child Jesus. Remember what they were called in the Bible? They were called The Magi, which means more than one magician. They were magicians, astrologers if you will, these men studied the stars. In no way did God ever condemn them for their title magician, but rather He used them for a purpose and God got the glory. They were not called "The Illusionist's", but they were called in the Word of God, "The Magi".  Can you imagine that at Christmas time while reading the story of Jesus' birth we say "and illusionists' from the east came."  It sounds pretty ridiculous.
Daniel, a very well respected and honored man in the eyes of God, was considered the "Chief of Magicians", not the "Chief of Illusionist". I will say this, if Daniel were alive today, he would be my boss, as said in the words of my close friend Christian magician Allen Rasco

Many times we see the word "Magician" or "Magic" in the Bible, such as Simon or Bar Jesus (Elymus). They used the title Magician and they were not condemned for that usage rather they were condemned for what they were using their talent for, not the name, but the use of their art.

In my DVD, I am seen on the front cover wearing black attire, holding 2 torches lit on fire, the title below says Scott Wolf "Magic" Show, there is four cards that are fanned out with fire around them. Now to the Christian eye, this DVD appears to be real evil, depicting satanic worship, the fires of hell, cards which are considered to be the devils prayer book originated from the Tarot deck, and the word "Magic". Trust me folks, I have had some interesting conversations with very well respected and well meaning Christians about this. I can honestly say that the color that I am wearing should have no reflection of who I am in Christ. The torches that I am holding tells the public that this is my signature act, the fire and the cards have two meanings that depict the usage of pyrotechnics which I love to use in my show, I do a couple of "tricks" using cards mostly involving comedy.


The word "Magic" used in my title, well let's face it, I know what the title means and I am not afraid of that word. That word is used so much in various things and in our speech as well. "The Magical World of Disney", "It's The Most Magical Time of the Year", Magic Johnson, Orlando Magic, etc... So what is the problem people?  When I am on stage, I am simply an actor playing the part of a "magician."  

If I need to be corrected then please correct me on what I say in presenting the Gospel and the usage of my theology, not for what I wear, my title, or the graphic art I use on my DVD. If this is what we are worried about people and nit picking at music and TV, and piercings and hair styles rather than paying close attention and helping each other fight the good fight and presenting Christ to people, then we are in trouble.

God will never condemn what we look like, the usage of our title or so on. Rather He is more concerned of how we use what He has given us already.  God has given me this amazing tool of "Magic", "Illusion", Tricks", name it what you will, God is more concerned of how I use my talent in presenting the Gospel to a lost world so that in return God gets all the glory, not me!

I love God with all my heart, and I will always use my talent to present an amazing message, and that is the message of love, not condemnation, but of hope and purpose. I have always made it very clear in my presentations that everything you see me do is simply just a trick. In no way do I possess any supernatural powers and in no way am I in league with demons.  Andre Kole states "That any eight year old child can do the things that we do as magicians...
with fifteen years of practice of course."


I entered this responsibility, knowing that it will have some controversy, but so will presenting the Gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment